Tuesday 2 March 2010

3D Walk Cycle


When initially planning my walk cycle I wanted a really energetic walk with lots of character and personality. I soon realised a walk doesn't have to be so upbeat and 'happy' to produce the same feeling of personality.

After this I decided on a tired, depressed, even as far as sad walk. I wanted to try and get the characters story across using just the movement of his limbs and try to get his experiences across.

Why is he sad/depressed/tired?
What happened to him?

This video helped me alot, it was the perfect walk I wanted to try and portray.



The way the character in this video drags his feet along the floor, the way his arms sag down, even his facial expression, all add to his background and, I think portray his story and personality very well.

Another source I used was Preston Blair's book, 'Cartoon Animation'



In my opinion, this and Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit are among the most important books any budding animator will read. The quality of the techniques used and showcased is none short of amazing, and they both really helped me understand how a walk can show so many different emotions, stories and personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment